Sure, I could tell you about my sensible crushes, although "sensible crush" may be an oxymoron. But you know what I mean, the cute/hot guys that every girl would like. But if every girl would like them, what's exciting about that? So here are a few of my ridiculous crushes...
1) David Letterman - He's in the #1 spot because I've crushed on him the longest, you could ask my college roommates, this crush has been around since I was about 19. It makes very little sense. He is funny, sarcastic in an endearing way (while it could get annoying very quickly, I only get to spend short bits of time with him and it's a very one-sided interchange). But he's also quite a bit older than me, he's even older than my dad! Call me crazy but I love the gap in his teeth, the amazing suits and ties, his funny political humor and can even overlook the white socks with black shoes. I know! He's the only one who can do this. Not sure if the crush could withstand a short-sleeved dress shirt Dave, so don't push it. Plus he was the executive producer of Ed, starring a more-sensible crush, Tom Cavanagh, as Edward J. Stevens.
2) Philip Seymour Hoffman - He's not cute, he's not handsome. He often plays schlubby, slightly rundown characters and yet he's one of those actors who seems to look best in films and even more scruffy and "auto-mechanicy" in real life. And yet, there's something there. Maybe it's because he's such a great actor, maybe it's his voice, and maybe cliches become cliches because they are so often true...love is blind.
3) The Verizon Guy - A friend of mine worked for Verizon when this campaign was new. She told me that I would like the guy in the new ads. And yep, she was right. Give me a dark-haired, nerdy guy in glasses and I'm happy.
4) Clinton Kelly - This crush is ridiculous for different reasons. Clinton Kelly is "really, really good looking," he's just not that into girls. But I still love him. He's a great dresser, his website makes me swoon and laugh all at the same time. Those photos of him in the intro are so perfect, the cowboy in the arctic, the suit and cell phone in the jungle. The interview with himself is so funny. In contrast to Stacey London's sometimes shrill, harsh comments, he's the voice of kindness, reason, and humor on What Not to Wear. I can't even imagine how fun it would be to spend 2 days shopping with him.
5) George Clooney - Ok, Ok, I know, this really falls in the category of lots of other girls think he's hot too. I'm not breaking any new ground here. But when I'm more realistic, this is a pretty ridiculous crush. He's George Clooney!!! He's famous, rich, and lives in Italy. He's smart, a humanitarian, seems to use his celebrity status to do some good. And just when the news broke that he's dating a "normal" girl, they had to go and mention that she's only 28.
Any secret ridiculous crushes out there???