Sunday, August 16, 2009

Rainy Summer Soup

It's been a little cloudy and rainy here lately. I thought Portland and I had an agreement, 9 months of rain is fine as long as July, August, and September are sunny and dry. The cooler temperature and grey skies made me crave warm soup. But since it's summer, I wanted it to be very fresh. Here's what I came up with.

2 sweet red peppers
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
3-4 medium tomatoes
olive oil
1 bag of frozen roasted corn (Trader Joe's)
1 C fat-free cottage cheese
3 C water or chicken stock
2 links of chicken sausage (I used an smoked apple chardonnay flavor from Trader Joe's)
Herbs and spices - I used thyme and cayenne (weird combo but good)
Salt and pepper

Cut peppers in half and remove seeds. Quarter the onion and tomatoes. Place peppers, onion, tomatoes, and garlic on a baking sheet and spray with olive oil. Bake at 450˙ for about 30 minutes, turning at least once. Place in heat-proof container. Add stock, 1/2 bag of corn, and cottage cheese. Use immersion blender to puree it. You can also put it all in a blender/food processor. Dice the sausage and saute until browned. Add sausage and rest of the corn and mix. Enjoy!

I ate a bowl with a salad and a slice of olive bread with cambozola cheese.

No comments: