Thursday, May 10, 2007

Funny Things from This Week

The past few nights I had a patient with TB. It's not as scary as it sounds but it does require all sorts of warning signs on the door, a special negative pressure room that sucks in air so his infected air doesn't go out into the hall, and since I haven't yet been fitted for a mask, I get to wear a filter strapped around my waist attached by a tube to a big plastic hood over my entire head, that's hot! As funny as that mental image is, what made me laugh was the poster in his room. He's a young guy and obviously has a good sense of humor about having TB and being in the hospital.
Then today, I went to the library to get a funny book, Naked by David Sedaris, for my flight tonight. While on the elevator I overheard this gem of a conversation:

Guy with questionable taste in music: "So do you know Savage Garden?" My friend said I could borrow some of his CDs. But I'm not sure I want to listen to 90s pop."
Musically clueless girl: "I'm not sure about that but the 80s did have some good music."
GWQTIM: "Oh yeah, like what?"
MCG: "Simon and Garfunkel."

And then they stepped off the elevator before I could educate them. I realize Flock of Seagulls had some crazy hair but did she really think anyone in the 80s would have had Paul's mustache or Art's Jewish 'fro?

1 comment:

Marie said...

I can't blame today's younguns for lumping the 70s and 80s together fashion-wise. They were completely different, but both so hideous that it's better to look away. However, there's no excuse for mixing up the music styles. Too bad you didn't have time to straighten them out.