Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Happy Pioneer Day!

Yesterday was Pioneer Day here in Utah. I remember when I worked for Washington Mutual in Oregon, the yearly list of holidays showed "Pioneer Day (Utah only)." So sad to know other people are getting a holiday and you aren't. Well this year, I was one of the cool kids! I got the holiday!

Liz had a party on her balcony up on 6th Ave overlooking the valley and the fireworks. Great food, fun people. I wanted to make a pioneer-themed dessert but what did they eat? Hard tack with syrup? So I made this...

And in honor of my roots, the recipe is from Southern Living. They call it Mississippi Mud Cake. I called it Oxen in the Mire cake. See all those little marshmellow oxen stuck in the mire of the frosting...

1 cup butter, melted
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
1 (10.5-ounce) bag miniature marshmallows

Whisk together melted butter and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in flour and chopped pecans. Pour batter into a greased 9x13 inch pan.

Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; top warm cake evenly with marshmallows. Drizzle chocolate frosting over warm cake. Cool completely.

Chocolate Frosting
16 oz powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 cup butter, softened

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth.

4 comments:

Marie said...

This dessert LOOKED like some haphazard marshmallow and chocolate explosion invented by a crazy aunt for a family reunion. But it was SO GOOD. The cake part, especially -- it had the best texture.

Thank you very much for the recipe. Now I have two great Ansley recipes in my collection.

Tamara said...

YUM!!! I'm so jealous!

Elizabeth said...

That looks homey and yummy. Sounds like you had a great time!

Sara said...

Call it what you will, but it looks like yummy comforting sweet goodness to me. I remember when I was working at US Bank and needing to explain to coworkers why people in Utah had the day off. They were so dumbfounded. But hey, I think it beats Nevada who gets Halloween, oh pardon me, Nevada Day, off.