Thursday, July 26, 2007

Some Thoughts

No special title for this one.

I had a patient die last night. It was expected and she was as comfortable as she could be, whatever that means. Her family was around her all night, sleeping in chairs, draped over her bed. She was basically unresponsive all night but there was no way she didn't feel the love in that room. She was young, about my age. Through reading her history and physical I knew the whole unfair story of her disease and was witness to her death.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this, I can't go into any detail about her. And it's making me cry so my eyes will be red and puffy at work tonight, again (they were already red and puffy last night). But I guess the little I know about her told me she was loved, she reached some amazing goals, she continued in the face of despair and even after she knew how it would all end, she lived as if it wouldn't. I guess I just think I have a lot to learn from her, this person I only knew for 12 hours.