Did you see the David Letterman interview with Josette Sheeran, Executive Director of the UN World Food Programme? It was almost 2 months ago, but is still fresh on my mind.
The most alarming and yet hopeful thing she says it that it would cost $3 billion a year to say no kid goes hungry. And then David Letterman says that Wall Street bonuses were $36 billion.
- WFP is the world's largest humanitarian agency
- In 2007, they provided 3.3 million tons of food for 86.1 million
- This year they plan to feed around 90 million people in 80 countries
- At any moment WFP has 30 ships at sea, 70 aircraft in the sky and 5,000 trucks on the ground
- The agency relies entirely on voluntary contributions
- More than 90 percent of funding goes on food or delivery costs
Right now money is tight for everyone, the economy is bad, it's the holidays. But if you can, please consider helping.