Sunday, June 08, 2008

Vintage Logos

This flickr set contains logos from an out-of-print book, World of Logotypes. The 70s really created some simple yet beautiful logos using only geometric designs and interesting fonts.

They remind me of a quote I saw on the windows of Design Within Reach in Washington DC. "An interesting plainness is the most difficult and precious thing to achieve." - Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe

The Mountain Shop

Eastern Business Systems

FlexForm

Grafton Productions

Liquid Paper

Found via Dark Roasted Blend, one of the top 50 Blogger blogs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that quote.

Marie said...

These are great. I'd never noticed how nice the Liquid Paper one was even though I've seen it many times. I have an admiration for good logos. I remember how impressed I was when I realized the logo of the Utah Humane Society incorporated a dog, the shape of the state of Utah, and a heart quite seamlessly -- all three aspect of their mission in one image. I also was proud when my design concept was chosen for our high school a cappella choir shirts. I turned the letter A into a grace note and felt so very clever.

Hey, It's Ansley said...

Marie - you are so creative and smart I'm not surprised that you would create something that even high school students would love.