I love McSweeney's and have Lizzy to thank for that obsession. We even saw Dave Eggers at Wordstock in 2006.
So here are my top five essays. And I should really preface that with - in recent history - it's so hard to remember all the brilliance and pick only 5, I just couldn't put them in specific order. And apparently I couldn't only pick 5 so consider the other 2 bonuses, one for each day of the week.
1) YAHOO'S MAILER-DAEMON AUTOMATED REPLY FOR FAILED E-MAIL DELIVERY IS GETTING A LITTLE TOO INTIMATE.
2) RILKE'S LETTERS TO A YOUNG PLUMBER
3) THE GIRLS OF THE HILLS VISIT IRAQ
4) UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS YOU MIGHT ENCOUNTER AT WHOLE FOODS.
5) FAVORITE GERUND MOVIE TITLES, UN-GERUNDED
6) "OH MY SWEET CAROLINA" BY RYAN ADAMS. Essay by Nick Hornby
7) THIRTY-NINE QUESTIONS FOR CHARLIE DANIELS UPON HEARING "THE DEVIL WENT DOWN TO GEORGIA" FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 25 YEARS.