Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Top 5: McSweeney's Essays

I love McSweeney's and have Lizzy to thank for that obsession. We even saw Dave Eggers at Wordstock in 2006.

So here are my top five essays. And I should really preface that with - in recent history - it's so hard to remember all the brilliance and pick only 5, I just couldn't put them in specific order. And apparently I couldn't only pick 5 so consider the other 2 bonuses, one for each day of the week.

1) YAHOO'S MAILER-DAEMON AUTOMATED REPLY FOR FAILED E-MAIL DELIVERY IS GETTING A LITTLE TOO INTIMATE.

2) RILKE'S LETTERS TO A YOUNG PLUMBER

3) THE GIRLS OF THE HILLS VISIT IRAQ

4) UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS YOU MIGHT ENCOUNTER AT WHOLE FOODS.

5) FAVORITE GERUND MOVIE TITLES, UN-GERUNDED

6) "OH MY SWEET CAROLINA" BY RYAN ADAMS. Essay by Nick Hornby

7) THIRTY-NINE QUESTIONS FOR CHARLIE DANIELS UPON HEARING "THE DEVIL WENT DOWN TO GEORGIA" FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 25 YEARS.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh. I haven't checked out McSweeney's in a while. I forgot how in love with Timothy McSweeney I am. Here's a review of new food from McSweeney's (since I'm on a health kick):

Odwalla Strawberry C Monster Fruit Smoothie

Submitted by Jacob Barron

In their quest to supply lonely office workers with a weapon to combat the threat of weather-weary immune systems, the Odwalla juice company seems to have forgotten to remove the stems from any of the strawberries before juicing them.

Annette G said...

These are hilarious. I especially like the questions for Dave Matthews. Laughed out loud. At work. Not good.